5 reasons to try counseling
This is not even close to an exhaustive list of the benefits of counseling, but here are 5 simple reasons to give it a chance:
- You would like to have healthier relationships. Counseling can offer insight into relational patterns, better ways to communicate, and most importantly, understanding yourself and your motivations better.
- You would like to feel happier. In counseling, unresolved hurts can be explored. Self- destructive patterns can be understood, and emotions can be identified, felt, and released. A counselor can offer perspective on your power to create a more fulfilling, joyful life.
- You would like to feel less alone. Sometimes it’s just nice to know that you’re not the only one. Counselors will often normalize what you’re going through and show you that your pain and feelings are valid.
- You enjoy being known and understood. Not many people know how to really listen. Counselors are not only listening to what you’re saying, they are watching your body language, making connections, and gaining insight from your history. Your counselor may even know and accept you in ways that you’ve never experienced before. Being known and understood aids self worth and confidence.
- You would like to find purpose in your story and your life. So often, when we go through difficult times, we try to sprint through them to get to the end. But when we reflect and process our story, it will always teach us something. It’s scary walking into pain alone, and a professional pain holder can go with you. Your pain may move us, but it doesn’t frighten us.
I’m not saying counseling is the only way to get these things. It’s certainly not. However, what I am saying is that counseling can help you grow, heal, and discover faster than trying it on your own. I know it did for me.